Sunday, October 30, 2005

More About This Site

I've had a few inquiries asking what my politics are. I tend to think I'm in the mainstream on most issues, but here goes:

I am a fiscal conservative and believe that most, if not all government is too big. I believe that lower taxes spur economic growth for everyone and higher taxes become a drag on the economy.

I believe that George W. Bush was true to his word in the first two years of his presidency with his tax cuts, the results of which are being shown with the high numbers released this past week. The downside of his presidency was the signing of the Medicaid bill. Whether or not it was politically motivated is an argument for another time, but it is one of the largest entitlement programs signed in decades. I still support the president because of his support for the war on terror.

Bush has squandered the goodwill of fiscal (and social) conservatives and the blowback was evident with the response to Hariett Miers the past few weeks.

Fiscal conservatives are wondering how a president with a house and Senate amenable to his plans could falter so poorly in getting a Social Security plan passed or in other tax reduction measures.

On the social front, I'm moderate. Without getting into issues that don't effect a local election, I basically am a moderate.

I've voted Republican in every election since I could vote with the exception of 1992 when I voted for Ross Perot because the first Bush broke his word and raised taxes.

My political views were shaped during the Reagan years and I tend to think of myself as a Reagan Republican.

In the Evesham election, I have two criteria that will shape how I vote:

  • Who will assist us with land and funds to build fields. I spend a large amount of time coaching and see the poor conditions.
  • Which candidate will rein in wasteful spending and reduce property taxes.

That's as simple as it can be. Others in town, I imagine, feel the same.

I really don't think that anyone in town--with the exception of the hardcore political junkies--gives a damn about where the money comes from for this election or what party paid for what. The simple, sad fact is that politicians are somewhere between newspaper reporters and career criminals on the credibility scale.

People in town are going to vote based on what impacts their daily lives; issues like traffic, standing in the mud at their kids football or hockey games, the increasing amount they are paying in taxes and the amount of time it takes the township to pick up the bundles of branches in front of their houses.

People vote what they know. If they are happy with the way the town is managed, they will vote for an incumbent or those supported by incumbents. If they are unhappy, they will vote against the candidate they see as an "insider".

Update: For the record, I have vowed to run this site as non-partisan and believe I have done just that. You will find no sign in front of my house.